May 10, 2010

Twin Cities Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure

Good Morning! For whatever reason I didn't think to update my blog last night. Probably because I was watching, "The Pacific" on HBO. Amazing series so when it comes out on DVD, make sure you pick it up.

Yesterday was the Twin Cities Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure and it was an incredible event, the best one I've been a part of yet. It was chilly 38 degrees so when I woke up at 5 am the layering began. However, once the sun started to peak over the buildings, it warmed up and the layers came off. If you aren't familiar with the Twin Cities event, it attracts 50,000 walkers every year and raised over $2.5 million dollars for breast cancer awareness and research.

The last few events I've done many different jobs but this year I was out on the course as a Race Marshall. I was stationed at the "Hug a Survivor" corner and got to watch every runner and walker go by. Our corner captain was telling us, the "Hug a Survivor" and the "Hug a Mother" corners are unique to the Twin Cities event and was started a while back when he and his buddy felt the walkers needed a pick-me-up while walking in the rain and the hugging began so they started yelling hug a survivor or mother!

It was somber and celebratory. One family in particular stood out. They lost their survivor after a second bought with breast cancer and where walking in her memory now. They stopped at the corner and gave each other the most meaningful hugs I think I've ever seen. I thought my family was good at hugging but they where better and you could just feel the love and loss that family was feeling. I felt privileged to be there to witness that moment.

Of course there were lots of hugs in celebration of many survivors and strangers hugging strangers. Lots of people were just there to support the cause and had no connection to breast cancer so they'd find a survivor and give them a hug.  Grandmas being mobbed by their grandchildren or at least the grandchildren that weren't confined in a wagon or stroller completely asleep.

It was wonderful and I cannot wait until next year but in the mean time, my mom has decided to walk withe me in the Chicago Komen 3-Day for the Cure. I'm so excited she's going to walk with me again and we've already booked our plane tickets. Now its 90 days to the 3-Day and time for some serious training!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great event! Good luck with your training for the 3 Day! My foot doctor cleared me to start walking again so I need to start pounding the pavement again, too. =)

    ReplyDelete